Flat Roofing Systems in Alton Priors
Flat roofing systems in Alton Priors SN8 4 are commonplace for a number of buildings. They can range in size from something as large as a school building, all the way down to something as small as a garage or extension.
They're incredibly good value for money as they are hard wearing and easy to replace. Technology has advanced to the point where the leaky flat-roofing systems of the past are long gone and a flat room can now last upwards of twenty years.
The cheapest installers are not necessarily the best installers. There are so many different material options now that it’s easy to hire someone who lays the cheapest material without explaining all the options to you.
These materials each perform a variety of different functions, so while they will keep the it warm and dry they may have differing life spans and aftercare requirements.
If you would like details on funding https://www.roofingsystems.org.uk/funding/wiltshire/alton-priors/ our team can help you.
Contact us now for more information and we can discuss exactly which specification option is the right one for you.
What is a Flat Roof?
So, what is a flat roof? A flat roofing system is where rather than having a typical apex roof, it is at a constant level. Most flat roofs have a very slight elevated gradient to allow rainwater to drain off and to stop it pooling and causing damage.
These are best used where space is not at a premium or where budgets are constrained. They're superb at keeping heat in and can be made out of a variety of materials including metal, wood, tar, bitumen and gravel.
Flat Roofs Construction in Alton Priors
Installers and suppliers of are quick to praise the construction process when time and budget is of the essence. They're extremely versatile and can keep a building watertight for many years without much in the way of maintenance.
Flat roofs construction is very popular for garages, workshops and garage conversions because they retain the original space and are installed quickly.
Flat Roof Cost
Flat roof costs for installation will ultimately depend upon quite a few different factors such as;
- The overall size
- The materials that are used
- The state of the current roof
- The amount of labour required
Speaking to your local flat-roof supplier will give you a better idea of prices, but you should also take into account potential repair prices further down the line. Flat-roof refurbishment installers and bituminous suppliers should always give the option of which material you would like to use.
This can then help determine which rooflights are used https://www.roofingsystems.org.uk/rooflights/wiltshire/alton-priors/ - if you wish to have lights installed.
Usually the more hard-wearing the material is, the more expensive it is to fit, but it does also last longer, so be sure to ask our advice before agreeing to anything.
Flat Roof Advantages and Disadvantages
Like any system, there are flat roof advantages and disadvantages. These include;
- Inexpensive - Compared to a traditional pitch roof they cost far less to fit. Even if the roof needs replacing before a pitch roof would, the vast difference in cost between the two still makes a this the cheaper option. Fortunately a repair service should prove to be inexpensive.
- Quick to fit- These can be installed in less than a day depending upon the size.
- More space - A loft conversion loses so much space due to sloping roofs. A flat room lets you retain the height and gives you so much more room.
- Accessibility - They are easier to access than a traditional sloping roof.
- Drainage - flat roofs do not drain as well as a traditional pitched roof. This can cause rainwater to form puddles which can lead to leaks, especially along the seams.
- Limited lifespan - the materials that are used have a limited lifespan, usually around the 15-20 year mark.
- Maintenance - refurbishment and maintenance repairs are common due to water not draining as a pitched roof.
Types of Flat Roof
The types of materials that are used in the making of flat roofs all differ greatly with their qualities and inefficiencies. Here are just a few of the most popular materials and the pros and cons;
- Felt - This is the most popular form for flat roofing systems in Alton Priors SN8 4 because it’s cost efficient. It can be used on any type of roof and has been used for many years with proveable results. The disadvantages are that it is not the easiest to repair yourself and it needs heat to install as bitumen is melted over the seams.
- Asphalt - Has a long life span thanks to its durable construction and is still fairly cheap to purchase. The negatives are that because of its overall weight it needs a strong foundation to support it, it’s fairly rigid, and it is not easy to repair yourself.
- EPDM Rubber - Hard wearing, flexible and lightweight making it incredibly simple to install. The downside is that rubber can shrink over time causing complications with leaks and it is not the most attractive material to look at.
- GRP Fibreglass - Very easy to install thanks to its lightweight composition. Also very hard wearing and looks nice and is vandalism resistant. The negatives are it does not not work well on large surfaces and is pretty inflexible.
- Single ply membrane - This is any material that can be applied as one layer as opposed to the multi-layering of something like felt, such as PVC TPO and PIB. They are all lightweight and flexible and can contour around difficult shapes easily. However, they are more expensive to install than other more traditional materials.
Other Services We Offer
Flat Roofs Near Me
Looking for roofing suppliers near me? Have you scoured the Yellow Pages for structural waterproofing suppliers nearby or the surrounding area and drawn a blank?
Get in touch now if we can help you with any aspect of flat-roofing systems, including advice on which material would be most suited to the property and quotes for installation.
Our team https://www.roofingsystems.org.uk/wiltshire/alton-priors/ have a long track record of installing flat roofing systems in Alton Priors SN8 4 to a high standard and would welcome the opportunity to work with you on your project too.